Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Using Technology to Improve Teaching

Using Technology in the Classroom



In talking about technology and the classroom it is important to mention the use of the internet and how it has helped teachers. Several years ago while I was still teaching kindergarten I used the internet daily. I used it as a teaching/lesson resource and I also had my kindergarten students use internet sites to gain experience with the computer along with practicing and reinforcing skills we were working on in class.

One of my favorite sites for kindergarten practice is www.starfall.com. This is a great site that offers free literacy practice and reinforcement. If you have not visited this site in the past, please take a minute and go there right now. It is such a nice site because it offers bright colorful reinforcement of kindergarten skills, but it is also ad free. While visiting Starfall you do not have to worry about pop-up ads. It also includes the option of printing worksheets. This is a great source for lower elementary students.

Another site that I visited often as a kindergarten teacher was www.dltk-kids.com . This is a great resource for teachers of primary students. It offers an amazing assortment of games, name tags, craft ideas. It is not a site that I ever had my students go to; rather it is a teacher resource site. This site is a nice site, however, keep in mind you do have to deal with pop-up ads, but it is worth the distraction.

No comments: